I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Strawberry Mango Banana Daiquiri - THE JAM

Believe it or not there is still a haul of mango in my kitchen, even after the mango jam and the mango-jalapeno jam.  I was lucky enough to grab a nice flat of strawberries at the farmer's market and ideas starting going.  I saw this recipe with balsamic vinegar and while I liked that idea, it gave me another idea too...
http://ahawker.blogspot.com/2013/04/strawberry-mango-balsamic-jam.html

Recall my string of cocktail inspired jam recipes?  Yep, that is inspiring!  So I mixed and matched and came up with this baby.

4 1/2 cups smashed or fine diced fruit (strawberries and mango)
3 tablespoons banana rum
juice of one lemon
1 box of pectin
5 1/2 cups sugar
and a pat or so of butter in case of foaming!

Into the pot add the fruit, rum, lemon juice, and pectin.
Watch until it comes to a boil you can not stir down.
add the sugar all at once, stir until it comes to a boil
once it hits the stage that the boil can not be stirred down, this time you time it (continue to stir) for one minute.
Turn the heat off after your minute and start filling your jars and complete with your canning process, see the instructions on your canning equipment.
I got 6  of the 8 oz jars in my first batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment