I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Recipe Review - Maple Bourbon Bacon Doughnut

Okay folks, here's a great little cake doughnut that has a hint of cinnamon in it. What makes the cake.... the glaze and topping!


I found the recipe here:
http://blog.whiskeydisks.com/maple-bourbon-bacon-doughnut-one-hell-of-a-doughnut/

Dough:

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup melted butter, cooled briefly (I did this first, then gathered the rest of my ingredients)
1 cup sour cream


Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
5 tablespoons bourbon ( I had Fireball on hand and used that)

BACON!


Mixing the dough:

 Whisked first 5 ingredients together set a side in my dry ingredient bowl.  In my electric stand mixer, I beat the sugar and eggs for 4 minutes, and added the vanilla.  Gradually I poured in the melted butter, and beat in the sour cream in two parts.    I added the dry ingredients in four batches to the mixer. Then I put this dough aside for about an hour (plus 15 minutes)

 Next I fried the bacon :)  and I'll admit I ate a little bit too!

 Mixing the glaze:

  In a medium bowl that I thought I could later dip the doughnuts in for glazing... I added the powdered sugar and maple syrup. Then I added the bourbon one teaspoon at a time until I had a medium thick but smooth glaze.  Cover this and set aside.  Crumble up the bacon and set very near the glaze.

 Back to the dough-nuts:

 I had my sweetheart roll out the dough for me. We don't have fancy doughnut cutters (yet) so we used what we had around the house.  Just the right size bowl and a cap off the empty rum bottle.  He must have rolled it to about a 1/2 inch thickness, the thicker ones fried up nice but they closed up the hole, and I don't really know how I feel about that yet.

 We filled a frying pan with fry oil and heated it up on medium flame until a doughnut hole cooked through in about a minute.  The holes are a great way to test your hole through out the process too!
 I fried 2- 3 at a time taking about a minute per side until I cooked all of them, maybe 20 in all. (plus the holes)  I had a cookie sheet lined with paper towels, and a baking rack on top of that.   As each cooked doughnut cooled to the touch I dipped it in the glaze, then the crumbled bacon and put back on my pan to let the glaze run until it stopped.  Eventually I piled up the best ones, used the last of the bacon for garnish.... and it's breakfast!  at 130pm in the afternoon...




No comments:

Post a Comment