I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mango Jam for Saran

With all my recipes I start with an inspiration, some crazy idea, then I find a recipe and then I make any necessary adjustments to make it suit my needs and my taste buds.

This week I'm inspired by my good friend and AOA sister Saran.  She has a special project (food creation) in mind and asked me to help her out with a homemade jam.  We discussed ideas while we made the Strawberry Jalapeno jam last weekend and came up with MANGO!

My local Costco had a great deal on Mango a box of about 9 lbs for $6.  Sadly non of my local farmers markets had any to sell, as I stopped and talked to them first.


This morning I am starting with this recipe that I found on pinterest, but I'll adjust it as I go.
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/2209/Mango-Jam84855.shtml

I used 7 of these medium - large mango.  Cut them up, mashed them with my potato masher and dumped them in my favorite jam pot with 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 package of my sure-jell pectin.

You know the drill, let it come to a boil, add 6 cups of sugar and then wait for it to boil again.  This time wait for that boil that won't stir down.  Time it for one minute continually stirring at that level of boil.


Turn it off, then start filling your jars and complete your canning process.

I hope you enjoyed your Mango jam as much as we did.


No comments:

Post a Comment