I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mango - Jalapeno Jam

Still on the inspiration that came from Saran in the form of MANGO Jam with the constant reminders that I STILL have a bag full of frozen Jalapenos to deal with.  Here we go Mango-Jalapeno Jam.

I started with a real badass recipe, so there isn't much to tweak... you'll see what I mean when you check it out over here. http://www.cowlickcottagefarm.com/mango-jalapeno-jam/
They list great ways to use this delicious jam as well.


4- 6 medium to large Mangos, sliced diced and mashed
6-8 medium to large Jalapenos, run through the food processor
1 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 package sure-jell pectin
6 1/2 cups of sugar
a bit of butter to control foaming (optional)

 
In the pot go the mangoe, jalapeno, vinegar and lemon juice.  Cook it, bring it to a boil and mash it a bit before adding your pectin.
Bring it back to a boil and add your sugar.


Bring to a boil that will not stir down and keep it at that heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.

Turn the heat off, and proceed filling your jars and follow up with your own canning method.
We used this jam as filler for a vanilla bean flavored home made marshmallow recipe.  The experience was amazing, and so were the results!  I'll be posting about home made marshmallow in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment