I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sekanjabin - Our Medieval Gatorade

Finally a true period recipe. This is less a recipe and more a ratio!  The rest is up to your imagination.  But I'll still show you how it's done.

My ratio came from: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/drinks.html

Combinations I have created before include:
Cooking strawberries in the water, then draining out the strawberries and using the flavored water to continue the recipe.
Using a pomegranate juice in place of water - you need to cut out 1 cup of sugar
I once used balsamic vinegar _ not really a fan of this version, but to each their own.
We even used a garlic red whine vinegar and roasted garlic.  It will be a great glaze for chicken.
I've substituted coffee in place of water_ also not a personal fan of this variation.
Honey vinegar makes a great substitution as well.
Most often however I use apple cider vinegar.
You can also change the herbs you use in the final step
The sky is the limit with the flavors you want to use.

And here is the ratio and process for Sickanjabin:
"Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 2 1/2 cups of water;


when it comes to a boil add 1 cup wine vinegar.


 Simmer 1/2 hour. Add a handful of mint,  - tear the leaves for the most flavor -remove from fire, let cool.

- Strain the syrup pulling out the mint leaves -

 Dilute the resulting syrup to taste with ice water (5 to 10 parts water to 1 part syrup).

The syrup stores without refrigeration"

(Oxymel) - A historical medicine similar to Sekanjabin
Andalusian p. A-74
Take a ratl of strong vinegar and mix it with two ratls of sugar, and cook all this until it takes the form of a syrup. Drink an ûqiya of this with three of hot water when fasting: it is beneficial for fevers of jaundice, and calms jaundice and cuts the thirst, since sikanjabîn syrup is beneficial in phlegmatic fevers: make it with six ûqiyas of sour vinegar for a ratl of honey and it is admirable.
.

1 comment: