I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Beef and Bacon Pie - A Feast of Ice and Fire

Of all the recipes in the book, " A Feast of Ice and Fire", by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel & Sariann Lehrer, I had most been looking forward to the Beef and Bacon Pie... and it did not disappoint.

"Part of  him wanted nothing so much as to hear Bran laugh again, to sup on one of Gage's beef-and-bacon pies, to listen to Old Nan tell her tales of the children of the forest and Florian the Fool." - A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

I got the egg wash all wrong, so it isn't as pretty as it is tastey this time!

As I tend to do, I went a little off recipe for this one.  I liked so much of both recipes in the book (Medieval and Modern variations) that I ended up with something that was a little in the middle.

9-12 strips bacon, diced
1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion diced
1/2 medium potato diced
1 cup diced fruit (prunes, raisins, dates, or any combo)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup beef broth
2-3 tablespoons of flour
2 pastry dough sheets (for 9inch pies)

1) Preheat oven to 375
2) Cook the diced bacon in saucepan over medium heat, until all the fat has run out
 - drain fat and return bacon to the pan.
3) Add to the pan:  Beef, onion, potato, vinegar, fruits and broth
4) Add in the flour and cook on low until the juices form a gravy
5) Turn off heat and let the mixture cool
6) Line the pie tin with one pastry dough and fill it with the meat mixture
7) Add the second pie dough as a lid, trim off excess, pinch closed the edges
8) Brush with egg wash for pretty finish
9) Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown


No comments:

Post a Comment