I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Cheese-and-Onion Pie - A Feast of Ice and Fire

Also from the book "A Feast of Ice and Fire" by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel & Sariann Lehrer, I served the an version of the Cheese and Onion Pie for our lunch.

"Moon Boy mounted his stilts and strode around the tables in pursuit of Lord Tyrell's ludicrously fat fool Butterbumps, and the lords and ladies sampled roasted herons and cheese-and-onion pies." - A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

The photo shown here also has the stuffed grape leaves of Dorne on the plate. 

2 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into bite size cubes)
2 medium onions (finely chopped)
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
   * original recipe called for an aged cheddar, I had an apple wood smoked cheddar
   * I also encourage trying other tasty aged or smoked cheeses as your taste buds see fit
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Pie dough - 2 rounds
1 egg white for glaze (optional)

1) Preheat oven for 350 degrees
2) boil potatoes 10-15 minutes, drain and set aside
3) boil the onions 2-3 minutes, drain and return to saucepan
4) coat the onions with the flour, add the milk and cream to the pan and cook over medium heat stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes.  (looks like an onion rue at this point)
5) Add potatoes, cheese and cayenne - stir well, season with salt and pepper as needed
6) Line a greased pie tin with one pie dough round, fork the bottom and fill with the goodness
7) brush rim with egg or water and place second pie dough on top
8) trim, and crimp to close the pie dough, make four holes in the center top, brush with egg white
9) bake 35 - 45 minutes or until golden brown, allow to cool to just above room temp before serving




No comments:

Post a Comment