I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Cranberry Orange Spice Jam

It's the end of my jam making run, as the holidays are over and the gifts have been given.  I do have one more gift giving occasion in a week or two, and they are all awesome and culinary adventurous folks.  So I went to the leftover fruits and ingredients from the Christmas jam making sessions.  I took what bits and pieces I had and searched the internet on amazing ways to combine them.   Up first, Cranberry/Orange.  I still wanted a holiday taste included so I'm using some spices to compliment the flavors of the fruits.

I started by the recipe listed here, but didn't like the ginger idea, and wanted more spices than the cinnamon.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/cranberry-orange-jam-with-crystallized-ginger-recipe.html

So my ingredient list looks like this.

2 oranges
1 package of cranberries (fresh)
2 cups apple juice (or cranberry juice if you have it)
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (or you can do 1/2 TBLS of your four favorite)
1 box of pectin
4 1/2 cups of sugar

I followed her idea, cut the oranges, took out the seeds, and put them peel and all into the food processor to grind them into a pulp :)  (marmalade like?)
Did the same with the cranberries and added both fruits to my big jam making pot.
I covered them with juice to cook them, hoping to add more flavor than water alone.
Also included the spices at this time, and simmered the whole thing until the cranberries seemed cooked.  10-12 minutes.
Stir in the pectin and combine, heat to a boil.
Stir in the sugar all at once, combine and heat to a boil.  Pretty much stay with it at this point, you want it to get to a rolling boil but you don't want to burn it on the bottom of your pan. (trust me, the clean up ain't fun)
Once it gets to a hard boil, time it for one minute and turn it off.  If you are a ginger fan, you can add some crystallized ginger here at the end.
Ladle into your jars and complete your usual jamming process.


No comments:

Post a Comment