I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lemon Cakes - A Feast of Ice and Fire

in like manner, we had Lemon Cakes after lunch, the recipe came from the book, "A Feast of Ice and Fire" by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel & Sariann Lehrer.

"Later came sweetbreads and pigeon pie and baked apples fragrant with cinnamon and lemon cakes frosted in sugar, but by then Sansa was so stuffed that she could not manage more than two little lemon cakes, as much as she loved them." - A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

This is what was left after lunch was served.

I used the books recipe for "Elizabethan Lemon Cakes" on page 165.  They are a cookie but very cake like, hence the name.

If you follow the directions you get 36 small little cakey-cookies and if you let your boyfriend help he doles them out into about a dozen man sized portions.  This kept them very cake like on the inside which was a hit for our crowd.

The original original recipe came from LUCAYOS COOKBOOK 1690  (not that is not a typo)

The redacted recipe for a modern kitchen thanks to the great authors of my new favorite cook book is as follows.

2 1/2 cups flour (plus more as needed)
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
Grated zest from 2 lemons
1 egg
2 egg yolks

and for the glaze
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon milk

1) preheat oven to 350 degrees - grease a baking sheet (or two)
2) in large bowl add flour, sugar and cut in the butter.
3) add zest and egg, and egg yolks.
4) mix  - add more flour if needed
5) roll dough into small 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet 
6) Bake for 15 minutes, until tops just begin to turn golden
7) allow to cool for a minute, then move to cooling rack
8) Mix sugar and milk until very smooth, drizzles over the cooled cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment