I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Monday, July 30, 2012

Onions In Gravy - A Feast of Ice and Fire

Another great recipe worth holding onto from my new cookbook, "A Feast of Ice and Fire" by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer

" Ben Stark laughed. ' As I feared. Ah, well I was younger than you the first time I got truly and sincerely drunk.' He snagged a roasted onion, dripping brown with gravy from a nearby trencher and bit into it. It crunched."  - A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin


The onions simmering in the gravy just before they were done.

1 bag of pearl onions (10 oz or so)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon of flour
3 cups beef stock
Splash of brandy (optional)
 (I used my bacon bourbon)

Cut half the onions into quarters and set the remaining whole onions aside for now.
Place honey and butter in frying pan and the quartered onions, cooking for about 8 - 10 minutes or until they become golden brown.  Be sure to keep on stirring so that they do not burn
Add the cider in three splashes letting it come up to heat before adding the next splash.
Sprinkle the flour over the pan to make sure it fully incorporates, then add the stock and the reserved whole onions.
Bring this mixture to a simmer, cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Reduce the heat and continue to cook until it reaches your desired consistency.
You can taste it and add additional salt and pepper or the booze at this point.



No comments:

Post a Comment