I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pina Colada Jam



As always I start with some one else's brilliant idea, but this time I don't have the link back to where it all began. :(

So here's my notes on my finished product.

3 Cups crushed pineapple - I used can to be easy about it, Dole 20 oz can (needed a little more than one can)

1 Cup crushed orange - I had one giant orange, disected it and put it in the food processor, I might used canned orange next time to see if it makes things easier (and cleaner)

the rind of one orange chopped - again my friend the food processor saved the day

1/2 cup coconut - the original recipe did not specify - liquid, flaked, ? I found this cool coconut product at the BevMo, try your local alcohol warehouse store in the mixers section


1 cup rum - I used pineapple, ( I must note this is MUCH more than the original recipe called for, but since the above mentioned coconut stuff was pretty thick, I figured more liquid couldn't hurt)

bring these ingredients to a boil,
add 1 box pectin
bring to a boil that will not stir down,
add 4 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup honey
bring back to that pesky boil that will not stir down
keep stirring as it boils about 1 minute
remove from heat and process as usual with the jarring of the jam, etc.

Since this is now my 4th jam/jelly recipe in a month, I think I should take a minute to note this special tip:
after you are done with kitchen pots, pans, utensils etc that have jam all over them, soak them immediately. you really don't want to find these dirty dishes a day later with jam caked and dried on !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment