I'm no expert, I'm not a trained chef, I just like to get in the kitchen and make up stuff. Mostly I like to start with a good recipe I read somewhere and then change it to match my tastes. I really love feeding other people and hearing thier opinions on what flavors work. This is a blog about my adventures in the kitchen (and at my grill)

Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Attempt at Unicorn Poop(tm)

Finding a lovely instructables page on a colorful and fun cookie, I've decided to give it a try myself and record my attempt here for you.  http://www.instructables.com/id/Unicorn-Poop/


I went with a "Joy of Baking" Sugar cookie recipe to start of with and doubled it, because hey I need a bunch of poopey cookies to take to a party tomorrow.


Sugar Cookies:

3 cups (390 grams) all purposeflour 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


Read more:http://www.joyofbaking.com/SugarCookies.html#ixzz2QMjWTrYl

The rolling of the different colors wasn't so bad, it was the adding them together that created issues.  It is indeed a frustrating task to set about.   As the dough warms it is more and more difficult to manage.  Flour can help you, so use a floured surface. However too much flower prevents your colors from sticking together when you want them to.

Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cool, then decorate.

I added some $1 rack bright green doilies to my serving plate to assist in the effect.

In decorating I used the sparkle gel from Wiltons that I found at Michaels.   Thankfully my talented boyfriend is skilled at painting some objects :)   Then I used Silver Stars Edible Accents also from Wiltons and some colorful sprinkles of hearts, flowers and butterflies.
All told this was half a day in the making.  The time to make the dough, refrigerate the dough, roll the colorful dough out, shaping, baking and decorating.  With decorating being the longest process of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment